Sunday, November 21, 2010

Back to Basics -- Scales

I have to admit, I have been relieved that I haven't had to play scales for a very long time.  Mainly because playing them don't make me feel very good--they sound uneven, the left hand misses lots of notes, etc.

But as I'm practicing the Chopin piano trio, I realized I probably need to get back to practicing some scales.  There are a few passages where the two hands play in parallel motions.  I'm not too happy with my two hands being uneven, and I just realized that they are thirds.

I've never been good at parallel thirds in both hands.  They have never been even.  Maybe that's why thirds, as well as sixths and tenths, are something I haven't played since middle school.  Wow!

My left hand is actually a bit worse than I thought.  The only thing it is consistent in is missing notes... my 2nd finger there isn't very reliable either.  Well, that's kind of annoying, because those are things that can only be fixed through months of practice.  I was hoping I can get away with it now that I'm playing "real pieces"--but sometimes, missing links can come back and bite you.

No comments:

Post a Comment